Thursday, November 1, 2012

El niño

El niño comes to us from Fromagerie des Cantons of Farnham, Québec, about an hour east of Montréal, between St-Jean-sur-Richelieu and Granby. This is a mysterious cheese with very little internet presence, but don't let that deter you. Simply put, it is hands-down my favourite québécois cheese so far. It's a semi-firm cheese made from raw Jersey cow milk (from the Ferme Janecek herd just down the road in Dunham), with a rind washed with red wine (there is also available a version without the red wine). The delicate taste of the cheese combined with the fruity and sweet taste of the wine equates to an absolutely wonderful cheese experience. I admit I didn't experiment much with this cheese. I have no idea how it goes with this food or that wine. I simply gobbled it all up on its own. My roommates are asking me to buy more. It retails for about $4.60 per 100 grams.

 

1 comment: